Health Professions: Premed
Students planning to apply to medical school may major in any subject, provided they complete the prerequisite coursework. Soon after arriving at Oberlin, you should discuss your plans with the pre-medical program director or other health career advisor, who can guide you through the process of preparing for and applying to allopathetic medical school, as well as to schools for osteopathic, podiatric, dental, and veterinary medicine.
Oberlin offers many resources for students who want to pursue health-related careers, including informational meetings, workshops, and speakers.
Students who intend to enroll in medical school immediately after graduation must complete the minimum science requirements by the end of their junior year and take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Others defer the MCAT and applications to medical schools until the senior year in order to complete pre- medical requirements and explore other interests.
The MCAT is administered from late January through early September at hundreds of test sites in the United States, Canada, and elsewhere around the world. You should plan to take the test no later than early July of the year in which you will submit applications to medical schools.
Detailed information is available on the Career Center website, http://new.oberlin.edu/office/career-center/go/medical-school/
- One year of biology (with laboratories)
- One year of physics (with laboratories)
- Two years of chemistry (general through bioorganic, with laboratories)
- One year of English, including writing course
- One year of mathematics, including statistics
- Introductory courses in psychology, sociology, or related fields
* Note: Most schools of medicine have similar prerequisites for admission. Individual schools vary in details, however, so you will want to consult the Medical School Admissions Requirements, for the specific schools and profession of interest to you. Resources are available in the Science Library and the office of the pre-medical program director.
Faculty Advisory Committee
Professor of Neuroscience, Pre-Medical Program Director
(440) 775-8369/ Lynne.Bianchi@oberlin.edu
Assistant Professor of Neuroscience
(440) 775-6503 / Gunnar.Kwakye@oberlin.edu
Associate Professor of Biology
(440) 775-8320/ Maureen.Peters@oberlin.edu
Associate Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
(440) 775-6599 / Catherine.Oertel@oberlin.edu