Visiting class is a great way to experience the academic life of Oberlin College. If your schedule permits, we encourage you to sit in on more than one class in any area that piques your interest. You may browse available classes at our current course schedule. Classes typically meet for 50 minutes on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and 75 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
We strongly recommend that you contact the instructor in advance to request permission to observe the class. Please browse the course schedule for faculty names, then look up their individual contact information in Oberlin's online directory. In general, 100 and 200 level courses best accommodate visitors. Selecting several classes offered in the same or an adjacent building may maximize the number you are able to attend.
Class Visit Guidelines
Please review the guidelines outlined below before scheduling your class visit.
- Please arrive at the classroom at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start time.
- Introduce yourself to the professor and request permission to observe the class if you have not already done so.
- Please plan on staying for the duration of the class.
- Do not enter a classroom once the class has begun.
- Occasionally some classes will not be able to accommodate visitors. Please be prepared with an alternative class option.
- If you are interested in visiting a 300 or 400 level class, it is required that you contact the professor to obtain permission prior to your visit.
- If you are interested in a class that will not be meeting during your visit, feel free to contact the instructor and arrange a personal appointment.
- Due to small class sizes and the expected number of visitors, we ask that only prospective students attend classes.
All classes in Studio Art, Theater, Dance, Creative Writing, and The Conservatory of Music require prior approval for visits. Please contact the instructors directly or call the academic departments (Studio Art: 440-775-8181; Theater and Dance: 440-775-8152; Creative Writing: 440-775-6567; Conservatory of Music: 440-775-8413).