German Language and Literatures Summer Stipend Guide
Feb. 22, 2010
The Department of German Language and Literatures will award two Max Kade Summer German Study Awards of $2000 to students pursing German language study during summer 2010. These awards are designed to offset travel, study, and living expenses for a summer-long study of the German language at the intermediate level. The stipends are intended to support study in a German-speaking country, but students who select immersion programs in the United States will also be considered. Because of the competitive nature of these awards, please read the following requirements and application procedures carefully as you consider applying for a stipend.
Deadline: Monday, April 5, 2010
• The award is open to Oberlin students who have completed at least one course in the German department.
• Students must have secured admission to a summer program by the application deadline.
• Preference will be given to applicants in their first or second years of study at Oberlin.
• Preference will be given to applicants who select rigorous programs of subtantial duration; i.e. a two-month course will be viewed more favorably than a two-week course.
To be considered for a stipend, all students must submit a complete application packet including:
• Completed Application Form (see reverse side)
• Personal Statement
• Names/contact information for two references; previous and current German instructors are recommended
• Unofficial transcript
• Finalists will participate in a 10-minute interview.
This should be a one- to two-page, single-sided, double-spaced proposal. The first part should be in English and the second in German. Your statement should contain the following elements:
• Describe your selected course of study, including the name, location and duration of your program.
• Include relevant personal information such as your major, year, course of study and related interests.
• Describe your long-term academic and intellectual goals and discuss how this opportunity to study German will help you to achieve these goals.
• Describe yourself and explain your interest in the German language.
• Tell us about literature, art, or music that you like. Who is your favorite author, artist, or composer? Why?
Finalists will take part in an individual 10-minute interview. In the interview, students should be prepared to elaborate further on their personal essay and the relevance of their summer course to their future academic/career plans.
If awarded a stipend, students will be required to: 1) write a post-study report documenting appropriate use of the Award, 2) continue their study of German at Oberlin College. Any unexpended or undocumented funds must be returned to the College.
Max Kade Summer German Study Award
Application Form 2010
Phone Number ________________________ OCMR Box # ____________________
____First-year ____Sophomore ____Junior ____Senior/Fifth year
Intended program of study __________________________________________________
I certify that all of the statements made in this application are true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand and agree that any misrepresentation or omission of facts will justify a denial of the award. I certify that if awarded a stipend, I will provide a final report on my study and agree to continue my study of German at Oberlin.
Please submit this form together with your personal statement, reference information, and unofficial transcript to the Department of German Language and Literatures, 222 Peters Hall by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 5, 2010. Finalists will be invited for interviews soon thereafter.