- Bachelor of Arts, Kalamazoo College, 1987
- Masters of Divinity, Vanderbilt Divinity School, 1991
- Doctor of Theology, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University, 2002
- 109. Jerusalem: Negotiating Sacred Space
- 184. Genesis Through the Centuries
- 201. The Bible in the Christian Communities of Asia, Africa and Latin America
- 202. The Nature of Suffering: The Book of Job and its History of Interpretation
- 205. Hebrew Bible in its Ancient Near Eastern Context
- 208. New Testament and Christian Origins
- 303. Anthropological Approaches to the Study of the Bible: Kinship and the Family in Ancient Israel
- 338. Biblical Historiography and the Shaping of National Memory: The Book of Isaiah and its Canonical Legacy
- The Great Courses: "The World of Biblical Israel"
A 24-lecture course on the history, religion, politics and daily life of ancient Israel.
- The Gendered Language of Warfare in the Israelite-Assyrian Encounter. Harvard Semitic Monographs 62. Winona Lake, Ind: Eisenbrauns, 2004.
- “Sculpted Warriors: Sexuality and the Sacred in the Depiction of Warfare in the Assyrian Palace Reliefs and in Ezekiel 23:14-17,” Lectio Difficilior (January 2007).
- "'Oh that you were like a brother to me, One who had nursed at my mother's breasts.' Breast Milk as a Kinship-Forging Substance." Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 12 article 7 (2012): 1-42. http://www.jhsonline.org/Articles/article_169.pdf