- Bachelor of Arts, Oberlin College, 1974
- Master of Arts, Princeton University, 1977
- Master of Arts, University of Chicago, 1980
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Chicago, 1983
- Questioning Ramayanas: A South Asian Tradition
- Extraordinary Child: Poems from a South Indian Devotional Genre
SHAPS Library of Translations. (Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1997).
- Many Ramayanas: The Diversity of a Narrative Tradition in South Asia (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991; New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1992).
- Women, Branch Stories, and Religion Rhetoric in a Tamil Buddhist Text
- "Against the Current: Sita and Her Foils in Modern Tamil and Telugu Short Stories," forthcoming in The Dynamics of Diversity, ed. Manu Bhagavan, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2005
- Ramayana Stories in Modern South India: An Anthology. (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2008).