- Bachelor of Music, Curtis Institute of Music, 1990
- Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing, Columbia University, 1995
- Studies with Richard Woodhams and John Mack
- Cleveland Orchestra, Oboe and Solo English horn (2004-present)
- Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Oboe and Solo English horn (2000-2004)
- Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Oboe and Solo English horn (1996-2000)
- Philadelphia Orchestra, Performances as Assistant Principal and Second Oboe (1988-1995)
Since joining the Metropolitan Opera in fall of 2000, Robert Walters has helped students of both instruments attain solo positions in the following orchestras: Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Honolulu, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Los Angeles Opera, New Jersey, Orpheus, Pacific, Richmond, Rochester, San Francisco Ballet, San Francisco Opera, San Francisco Symphony, Santa Fe Opera, Santiago, Sarasota Opera, Seattle, Shanghai, Syracuse. Read more.
Solo Performances: (partial listing)
Soloist with the Cleveland Orchestra and the Chicago Symphony; the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra; the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (Carnegie Hall); New York Chamber Soloists; and the Beijing Radio Symphony (China).
Appearances as Principal Oboe With:
Orchestra of St. Lukes, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, American Symphony Orchestra, Brooklyn Philharmonic, American Ballet Theater, New York Chamber Symphony (92nd Street Y), RCA Studios for Columbia Pictures, BMG Studios, Opera Orchestra of New York, Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, Marlboro Music, Musicians from Marlboro touring ensemble
- Aspen Music Festival, Artist Faculty (2004-present)
- Colorado College Summer Music Festival, Artist Faculty (2004-present)
- New World Symphony, Coaching Program (2005-present)
- Formerly Instructor of Oboe at Bard, Swarthmore, and Haverford colleges, and the University of Pennsylvania