The woodwinds, brass, and percussion curricula are both intense and stimulating. The full-time resident faculty includes nationally recognized teacher-performers committed to providing careful, rigorous instruction. Highly selective admission standards limit the number of students, ensuring that all receive individualized instruction.
Curricular offerings include:
- reed-making classes
- orchestral repertoire classes for both brass and woodwinds
- marimba and timpani mallet construction
- tucking and mounting calf-skin drum heads
- chamber music classes for small ensembles
- Both private study and solo and ensemble performance are emphasized.
Oberlin's percussion studies program provides individualized, rigorous instruction that emphasizes the development of technique and musicianship through the study of both contemporary solo literature and orchestral repertoire.