- Youngstown State University
- Rutgers University
- Jazz Studies Contact Information:
For assistance in contacting Sean Jones,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Trumpeter, composer, and bandleader Sean Jones has performed across the globe with such artists as the Louis Armstrong Legacy Band, Chaka Khan, Patti LaBelle, India.Arie, Kem, Me'Shell Ndegeocello, the Heath Brothers Quintet, and Stevie Wonder.
Featured on the 2007 Grammy Award-winning album Turned to Blue by Nancy Wilson, Jones has collaborated with other notable recording artists including Gerald Wilson, Charles Fambrough, the Cleveland Jazz Orchestra, the International Jazz Quintet, and the Paul Ferguson Big Band. Jones has also released five albums on the Mark Avenue Records label.
A four-time Rising Star winner of DownBeat magazine’s Critics Poll, Jones garnered a 2007 nomination for the Jazz Journalists Association Trumpeter of the Year and in the same year won JazzTimes magazine’s award for Best New Artist.
“Jones possesses his own style that can deliver blistering notes or silky tones at the drop of a hat. [Jones] is also an ardent band leader, guiding a shining group of unsung and noted performers who give it their all throughout this polished work,” says Mark F. Turner of All About Jazz.
Formerly lead trumpet player with Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Jones is often heard at music venues and jazz festivals including the Monterey Jazz Festival, the Detroit International Jazz Festival, and the Montreal International Jazz Festival.
Jones also serves as Assistant Professor of Jazz Studies at Duquesne University. He holds degrees from Youngstown State and Rutgers universities, and includes William Fielder among his primary teachers.
- As bandleader
- No Need for Words, 2011 (Mack Avenue)
- The Search Within, 2009 (Mack Avenue)
- Kaleidoscope, 2007 (Mack Avenue)
- Roots, 2006 (Mack Avenue)
- Gemini, 2005 (Mack Avenue)
- Eternal Journey, 2004 (Mack Avenue)
- As sideman
- Healing Space, 2007, with Tia Fuller (Mack Avenue)
- Turned to Blue, 2006, with Nancy Wilson (MCG Jazz)
- Sonic Tonic, 2005, with Ron Blake (Mack Avenue)
- In My Time, 2005, with Gerald Wilson Orchestra (Mack Avenue)
- New York, 2003, with the New Sound Gerald Wilson Orchestra (Mack Avenue)
- Live @ Zanzibar Blue, 2002, with Charles Fambrough
- Awards and nominations:
- DownBeat magazine Rising Star, 2006, 2007
- JazzTimes magazine Readers Poll Best New Artist, 2007
- Nominated, Jazz Journalists Association Trumpeter of the Year, 2007