How to Register for OBIEWeb
OBIEWeb is the portal Oberlin alumni can use to connect with other Obies, submit a class note, and keep your contact information up to date so you don't miss out on Oberlin events in your part of the world. This step-by-step guide tells you what you need to register. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes!
Step 1: Go to the Oberlin Alumni website and click on "OBIEWeb" in the left sidebar.
Step 2: Just above the login box is a link where First Time Visitors can begin the registration process.
Step 3: You will be asked for three pieces of information: your Alumni ID#, your Last Name, and your Class Year.
- Your Alumni ID# is not your T#. If you have a copy of the Oberlin Alumni Magazine, your Alumni ID# can be found above your name on the address label.
- If you don't have your Alumni ID#, you can contact our office or submit this form to have your information sent to you.
Enter your information in the proper fields. If you receive error messages, please contact our office.
Step 4: You will be asked for your e-mail address, a User ID, a password, and a security question.
- Your User ID can not be changed once created. User IDs are case-sensitive and may contain letters, numbers, periods, and underscores.
- Your password is case-sensitive.
- You will also be asked to accept the Terms and Conditions for the OBIEWeb Online Community. If you would like to peruse the terms prior to registration, please click here.
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to the address provided.
You should now be registered for OBIEWeb. Welcome! Here are some of the nifty things you can do:
- Create a profile
- Upload a recent photo
- Submit a class note
- Look up friends or find Obies in your local area
- Adjust your privacy settings
- Register for alumni events (Happy Hours, Concerts, Sporting Events, Book Clubs, Alumni Day of Service, etc.)
- Access JSTOR and Project MUSE
- Vote in the Alumni Trustee Election
If you have any questions or need assistance with the registration process, please contact our office.
What is "My Alumni Profile"?
"My Alumni Profile" is your personal entryway into the services of OBIEWeb. It allows you to update your personal information, establish a contacts list, view recently posted Class Notes, post a photo, change your password and a host of other services. It IS NOT what the public will see when searching for your profile in the directory. If you would like to see what others can view about you in the Directory, go to your profile page and click "View my public profile."
- Basic Search: This will allow you to search by last name, first name, class year, location, or business name. This search type is recommended if you are looking for local alumni.
- Advanced Search: Similar to the basic search, this allows you to search based on almost every profile field available, including major, hobbies, group affiliations, and professional networking interests. The less specific you make your search, the more hits you should get.
- Keyword Search: This search will comb through profiles and class notes based on your search criteria. This search type is recommended if you are looking for a category of alumni, such as "New Hampshire attorney" or alumni who have travelled or lived in a specific country.
How do I email someone using OBIEWeb?
OBIEWeb provides a "blind email address" to our users: rather than seeing someone's email address in their directory listing, you can click on the "Send an Email" icon within her/his profile to send a message. If you would like to have her/his email address for your records, you must ask that individual to provide it to you. If there is no "Send an Email" icon, the user has declined to provide an email address in her/his profile.
How do I establish "Email Forwarding" with a world.oberlin.edu address?
Select "Email Forwarding" from the left side menu and follow the guidelines that appear. You will be asked toname your permanent email address—this can not be changed once created. You will then provide an email address to receive the forwarded messages. You also have the option to enable spam controls on your world.oberlin.edu account.
How is "Email Forwarding" different than a regular e-mail account?
OBIEWeb Email Forwarding allows you to use the world.oberlin.edu email address as a way to keep your personal email private. It also allows you to keep one email address for life, rather than having to alert friends, family and business contacts of a new email address each time you change your Internet provider or job.
You will need to have another email address established to use this forwarding service. Although there is no email interface for world.oberlin.edu accounts, it is possible to send email under your world.oberlin.edu alias. Here are instructions on how to set that up with some of the major email services: Gmail Hotmail Yahoo Outlook Thunderbird OSX Mail
I received a suspicious email with oberlin.edu in the from address. The message contains an attachment. Is this a real message or a virus?
Oberlin College will never send emails with attachments unless the recipient is specifically made aware and is expecting that attachment. The latest round of virus emails have been "spoofing" the from address so that it appears the message has been sent by Oberlin College. Any messages from email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com are viruses and should be deleted immediately. In general, you should not open any attachments unless you are expecting one from someone you can trust.
I am not sure if all of my email is getting to me. What should I do?
If you are trying to email yourself from the account your address is forwarding to, your email will not go through. Our email forwarding service does not allow users to email themselves. Either email yourself from a different account or use your direct email address rather than your world.oberlin.edu address.
If you think other people's emails are not getting to you, make sure your address is correctly entered in your profile. If it is, have a friend send a test email to your world.oberlin.edu address. If it does not arrive within 10 minutes of sending, please contact the alumni office. Be sure to include your name, class year, and the time the test email would have been sent.
Some email providers may temporarily "throttle" email forwarding service. This practice is used to reduce spam, but it will block messages regardless of content. Some messages may be delayed while other will not be delivered at all. To reduce this, we will clear out bad or bouncing email addresses on a regular basis to avoid unnecessary server use. If we become aware of an email provider throttling service, we will post a note on the Alumni Association homepage.