The Alumni Association would not be able to support such a wide range of programs and activities without the dedication and commitment of many alumni. We value the contributions of alumni and encourage you to find a volunteer activity that interests you. We offer many ways for you to stay engaged. As a volunteer you can:
- Get involved with a regional club in your area.
- Recruit new students for Oberlin as an Admissions Recruiter.
- Encourage others to make a difference through fundraising as a Class Agent.
- Host an event at your home.
- Host an event at your office/other location.
Click on the volunteer opportunities below to learn more about each role.
Oberlin's Admissions Office, in conjunction with the Alumni Association, has developed a program which enables alumni to participate in the recruiting process – the Alumni Recruiting Network. Although methods of finding outstanding prospective students for Oberlin vary, alumni are asked to do one or more of the following:
- Search for talented high school students, meet them, and put them in touch with Oberlin's Admissions Office;
- Serve as a local liaison between Oberlin and high school teachers and counselors, including representing the college at local high school college fairs;
- Interview students who have applied to Oberlin and send the Admissions Office confidential comments about the candidates, including their interests, needs, and what they might offer to Oberlin;
- Follow up on students who show interest in Oberlin; contact those who are admitted to ensure that they enroll.
In cities that have many alumni recruiters and many applicants, an admissions recruiter coordinator will be available to organize admissions activities in those regions.
Class Agent volunteers assist the Development Office with fundraising by building relationships with fellow alumni. There are nearly 300 class agents for Oberlin College, and the Oberlin Annual Fund is in search of even more volunteers.
The benefits of volunteering as a class agent include:
- the opportunity to reconnect with classmates, including those you lost touch with long ago;
- helping Oberlin raise dollars needed on an annual basis to provide crucial scholarship and budget support;
- assisting the Alumni Office in keeping our alumni’s contact information up to date;
- helping to increase alumni participation, which is vital for Oberlin’s status in the national liberal arts rankings; and,
- the comforting feeling that you are truly making a difference in Oberlin’s present and future.
Being a class agent is fun, simple, and rewarding. We ask for no more than a few hours of your time each semester to reach out to alumni for support, and, to thank them for their generosity.
Interesting in becoming a volunteer class agent today? Please contact the Oberlin Annual Fund at either firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-693-3167.