General Sustainability Links
Below are some resources from Team Captain Planet and Team Nemo, 9th graders at Colonial Academy. Thank you for the resources!
And here is a wonderful guide on everything recycling: "A Guide to Recycling Around the Home"
- Oberlin College Environmental Policy - Comprehensive campus environmental policy passed by the Board of Trustees in March 2004.
- CDS Recycling homepage - Campus Dining Service's finest...
- City of Oberlin - Refuse and Recycling page
- Cuyahoga County Solid Waste - Serving the Cleveland area
- Lorain County Solid Waste District - Serving this county
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources - Division of Recycling and Litter Prevention
- Great Lakes Information Network
Recycling and Environmental Information:
- Recycling-Guide - an in-depth look into how your products are recycled, complete with illustrations!
- Woodwise - the PAPER project and consumer information on forests and paper.
- From Purchase College: What happens to recycled materials? Learn all about it here. The same site brings us wonderful information about reuse and general waste management here.
- Conservatree - paper use and tree info
- Safeclimate - calculate your carbon dioxide footprint, get climate change news and actions, browse an eco-friendly store
- Center for a New American Dream - more fun, less stuff! and good information.
- The Worldwatch Institute - offers in-depth information on a wide range of environmental and political topics
- A Kid's Guide to Recycling - recycling affects everyone! This is a kid-friendly site that will help anyone get excited about the environment. Thanks to Ms. Ward's 2013-14 class for showing us this awesome resource!
- A Guide To Glass Recycling for Kids - an in-depth and kid friendly guide to glass recycling. Check it out to learn how glass is made, why we should recycle it, and what happens when we do!
Water and Energy Conservation:
- WaterWiser is a good place to find information on all aspects of water conservation from low flow showerheads to the ecological implications of dams.
- Toiletology is all about toilets and saving water.
- On the American Water site, you can find lots of products to help you save water in your home.
- The Rocky Mountain Institute is a leader in the field of energy conservation.
- Information on the battle over America's drinking water
Green Household Products:
- The Rockville Living catalogue offers a host of green products from dish soap to shoes. They also have a great office products section.
- Realgoods is another great eco-products source.
- Composters.com is a great resource for all things composting.
College Recycling and Campus Greening:
- Brown Is Green - In 1990, Brown Univeristy initiated an innovative program to promote campus environmental responsibility and resource conservation.
- Recycling at University of Colorado-Boulder
- Sustainable Development on Campus: A Toolkit
- National Wildlife Federation's Campus Ecology Program - Campus Ecology is a full-service, regionally based program that helps campus leaders - students, staff, administrators, and faculty - implement and sustain environmental programs.
- EcoMall - The environmentally oriented internet shopping mall.
- Seventh Generation - Not to be confused with the local environmental group out of Lorain, OH, Seventh Generation offers a wide range of environmentally responsible household products. (We recommend their toilet paper; it's better than stealing it from campus.)
- Real Goods - also offers an extensive variety of ecological products.
- The Internet Consumer Recycling Guide
- Redjellyfish.com Natural Living - a great environmental resource and natural living/products website.
- EarthDay Network - information and shopping.
Other Environmental Organizations:
- Environmental Defense Fund
- National Resources Defense Council
- World Wildlife Fund
- Earth First! Journal
Miscellaneous Recycling Links:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Recycle City - Recycle City is the U.S. EPA's recycling fun page.
- Recycler's World - Recycler's World was established as a world wide trading site for information related to secondary or recyclable commodities, by-products, used and surplus items or materials.
- Keep America Beautiful, Inc
- Zero Waste America - Zero Waste America is a political organisation dedicated to waste reduction.
- OurEarth - A website with a good stock of environmental information.
Smoking and the Environment:
- The air around us needs to be kept clean too. Cigarette smoke impacts the world around us in a variety of negative ways, from inhibiting the growth of plants to causing sickness in children.
- Quit Smoking Community offers information on smoking and its effects, as well as a guide on how to quit.
Jobs and Connections:
- Essential Information for idealists in or looking to enter the nonprofit world: find internships, action ideas and more.
- "The Recycler's Handbook;" "50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth;" "50 Simple Things Your Business Can Do to Save the Earth;" and "50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth;" all put out by The Earthworks Groups, Berkeley CA
- "The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists," available in the Oberlin library
- "Silent Spring" and anything else by Rachel Carson
- "Stuff: The Secret Lives of Everyday Things" by John C. Ryan