General Sustainability Links
Below are some resources from Team Captain Planet and Team Nemo, 9th graders at Colonial Academy. Thank you for the resources!
- Oberlin College Environmental Policy - Comprehensive campus environmental policy passed by the Board of Trustees in March 2004.
- CDS Recycling homepage - Campus Dining Service's finest...
- City of Oberlin - Refuse and Recycling page
- Cuyahoga County Solid Waste - Serving the Cleveland area
- Lorain County Solid Waste District - Serving this county
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources - Division of Recycling and Litter Prevention
- Great Lakes Information Network
Recycling and Environmental Information:
- Woodwise - the PAPER project and consumer information on forests and paper.
- Conservatree - paper use and tree info
- Safeclimate - calculate your carbon dioxide footprint, get climate change news and actions, browse an eco-friendly store
- Center for a New American Dream - more fun, less stuff! and good information.
- The Worldwatch Institute - offers in-depth information on a wide range of environmental and political topics
Water and Energy Conservation:
- WaterWiser is a good place to find information on all aspects of water conservation from low flow showerheads to the ecological implications of dams.
- Toiletology is all about toilets and saving water.
- On the American Water site, you can find lots of products to help you save water in your home.
- The Rocky Mountain Institute is a leader in the field of energy conservation.
Green Household Products:
- The Rockville Living catalogue offers a host of green products from dish soap to shoes. They also have a great office products section.
- Realgoods is another great eco-products source.
- Composters.com is a great resource for all things composting.
College Recycling and Campus Greening:
- Brown Is Green - In 1990, Brown Univeristy initiated an innovative program to promote campus environmental responsibility and resource conservation.
- Recycling at University of Colorado-Boulder
- Sustainable Development on Campus: A Toolkit
- National Wildlife Federation's Campus Ecology Program - Campus Ecology is a full-service, regionally based program that helps campus leaders - students, staff, administrators, and faculty - implement and sustain environmental programs.
- EcoMall - The environmentally oriented internet shopping mall.
- Seventh Generation - Not to be confused with the local environmental group out of Lorain, OH, Seventh Generation offers a wide range of environmentally responsible household products. (We recommend their toilet paper; it's better than stealing it from campus.)
- Real Goods - also offers an extensive variety of ecological products.
- The Internet Consumer Recycling Guide
- Redjellyfish.com Natural Living - a great environmental resource and natural living/products website.
- EarthDay Network - information and shopping.
Other Environmental Organizations:
- Environmental Defense Fund
- National Resources Defense Council
- World Wildlife Fund
- Earth First! Journal
Miscellaneous Recycling Links:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Recycle City - Recycle City is the U.S. EPA's recycling fun page.
- Recycler's World - Recycler's World was established as a world wide trading site for information related to secondary or recyclable commodities, by-products, used and surplus items or materials.
- Keep America Beautiful, Inc
- Zero Waste America - Zero Waste America is a political organisation dedicated to waste reduction.
- OurEarth - A website with a good stock of environmental information.
Jobs and Connections:
- Essential Information for idealists in or looking to enter the nonprofit world: find internships, action ideas and more.
- "The Recycler's Handbook;" "50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth;" "50 Simple Things Your Business Can Do to Save the Earth;" and "50 Simple Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth;" all put out by The Earthworks Groups, Berkeley CA
- "The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists," available in the Oberlin library
- "Silent Spring" and anything else by Rachel Carson
- "Stuff: The Secret Lives of Everyday Things" by John C. Ryan