RA Hiring

The Office of Residential Education & Dining Services is currently accepting applications for Resident Assistant (RA) positions. Please review this page for more information to apply for the Spring Semester of the 2014-2015 academic year. If you have any questions about the application process, please email resapps@oberlin.edu.

ResEd In-Hall student staff are full-time students who live in college-owned housing, aid in student safety, enforce college rules, resolve conflicts, and involve students in college programs.


Application Process - Due by Friday, October 31st, 2014 at 5pm

Anticipated openings for Spring 2015:
Burton (Sustainability Hall), Noah, South, East, Quadrangle (Asia House), Kade (German House), Johnson (Hebrew Heritage House) and all FYRE cluster.

Step 1: Submit Online Application. Applications are currently for the Spring 2015 Semester.

Step 2: Submit your personal statement to resapps@oberlin.edu

All personal statements need to address the following:

  • Who you are
  • Why you want to be a RA
  • What roles you feel student staff members, specifically RAs, play in our communities
  • What skills and experiences you have that make you a strong candidate
  • What you would bring to the specific buildings/areas in which you are interested

This should be typed, no more than two pages, double-spaced, in 12-point font, and emailed as an attachment to resapps@oberlin.edu.  Please write the statement in Microsoft Word, using the following format to title your document: Last Name, First Name, Part II.

Step 3:  Residential Education will contact you, via your Oberlin email, if you are selected for an interview. Any student who misses their interview time will forfeit their application.


Job Description - General

The RA role is one of a community facilitator. RAs provide leadership and assist residents in developing a positive learning community environment by building strong, healthy relationships with residents. A positive learning community environment is one where active learning takes place through RAs facilitating opportunities for formal and informal faculty and resident interaction, seeking resident involvement and creating a sense of investment among residents. This is completed within guidelines established by the College and the Office of Residential Education.


Applicants must be in good academic and disciplinary standing. Anyone on disciplinary probation may not hold a student staff position, and students may not start the position while on academic probation. The Office of Residential Education will verify each applicant’s academic and disciplinary standing as part of the application process. 

Each year the Office of Residential Education hires approximately 75 students as RAs, VAs or LRAs for the residence halls and village housing. Above are important dates for these selection processes. Note that the dates for deadlines and interviews are non-negotiable.


All staff will receive single occupancy rooms at a double occupancy rate. Please be aware that all rooms will not be equal and the Office of Residential Education reserves the right to relocate you during the summer if needed to accommodate housing needs.

RAs also receive a stipend every two weeks via direct deposit - amount varies based on years as a student staff member.

Residential Areas

On the application, you will be given an opportunity to indicate in which types of student staff positions you are interested. For more information on these buildings, please see the information in the housing section of our website. Our residential units fall into the following classifications:

Traditional Housing

These halls are traditional-style, large-community housing.

First Year Residential Experience (FYRE)

These halls are traditional housing dedicated to programming for first-year students.

Program Houses

These halls offer students opportunities to pursue special interests beyond the classroom.


  • RA Application Process for Spring 2015 opens on October 13, 2014. 

  • VA Application Process for Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 opens on October 13, 2014.

  • RA Applications due October 31, 2014.

  • Interviews for RA positions for Spring 2015 will be on November 13 & 14, 2014.

  • RA/LRA Application Process for Fall 2015 opens on December 1, 2014
  • RA/LRA Applications for Fall 2015 due Wednesday, February 11, 2015