The F1 Visa

The F-1 Visa

To maintain F-1 status:

  • Register full-time every semester.
  • Work only on campus during the first academic year, and only off-campus with the proper employment benefit (OPT or CPT) after that.
  • Keep your passport valid and unexpired at all times.
  • Report all changes in your US address, legal name, and/or visa status within 10 days of any change.

What information must be kept and reported through SEVIS:

Oberlin College must report each semester the following for each F-1 student:

  • Enrollment and registration status
  • Whether or not a student drops below a full-time course of study
  • Completion of program of study
  • Extension of program of study
  • Change(s) in legal name(s) and/or US address
  • Some academic or disciplinary actions taken against the student
  • Other information such as program transfers, changes in level and/or major of study, employment authorizations, reinstatement, and/or record termination date and reason.