The study away application is a two-step process:
1) You must complete Oberlin's online Study Away application in order to obtain institutional permission for an academic leave of absence.
The Oberlin Study Away (Academic Leave of Absence) application must be submitted by March 15 for students who wish to be on leave the following fall, spring or academic year. The deadline for the 2017-18 academic year is March 15, 2017.
Oberlin’s Study Away application requires you to either select one or two specific programs, or (for spring semester applications) to select a “spring to be determined” program. See specific instructions below:
2) You must apply to the specific study away program(s).
Some programs have limited enrollments, so it is important to apply early to your choice(s), even as much as a full semester in advance. If a program application deadline is earlier than the Oberlin deadline for institutional permission, the Study Away Office will inform the program that your academic leave approval is “contingent upon review by a faculty committee at a later date." We encourage all students to apply to their selected program(s) by March 1 for the subsequent fall semester and/or full academic year, and by October 1 for a subsequent spring study away semester. Note: Some programs have early deadlines. Please check the application deadlines carefully.
Applications Instructions for Study Away Approval from Oberlin College:
1) Go to the Program Search page at https://studyaway.oberlin.edu/. Click “login” in the top right corner.
2) Log in with your ObieID (username) and password. Click "First Time User Applicant." You will log in with your ObieID and password each time you return to studyaway.oberlin.edu
3) Edit your profile (optional).
4) Search for programs. Click the “Search Programs” button on the left side of the page. You may search by academic subject area, location, name, or language of instruction.
5) Save programs of interest by clicking the disk icon on the right side of the page. This will save the program to your profile so that you can return to it later. Before you save a search, you'll be asked to create a profile using your ObieID and Password. Click on the home icon in the top left corner to view your saved programs. You may also rank your preferences on your profile page.
6) Once you have decided on your first choice program, locate that program either in your profile or by using “Search Programs.” Open the program brochure and click “Apply Now” to start your application. Note: You may apply to up to two programs for each semester of leave.
7) Complete the Application Questionnaires. Be sure to save your work frequently. You may also create and work on portions of your application in Word format and paste it into the on-line application.Click on the Application Approval Form (in the Application Questionnaires section).
Checklist for Oberlin Study Away Applications:
- Declare major
- Discuss study away plans with major advisor
- Research study away programs at https://studyaway.oberlin.edu/
- Attend study away application information session
- Schedule an appointment with study away advisor as necessary
- Begin the on-line application