June 29 - July 5, 2014
2014 Program now full, we hope to see you in 2015!
High School Composition Workshop
Codirectors: Lewis Nielson and Josh Levine
This workshop provides young composers with practical technical training in composition through direct work with Oberlin composition faculty, outstanding performers, and highly qualified student assistants. Participants will receive:
- Daily private study
- Workshops in idiomatic writing for a chosen group of instruments
- Study and discussion of works representing significant trends in contemporary music
- Masterclass experience with Oberlin faculty composers
- A concert by our resident players of works composed during the workshop
- Plenty of opportunity for one-on-one dialogue with performers and student and faculty composers
All applicants accepted into the workshop will be required to begin a new work for members of the resident ensemble. Workshop assignment included in the acceptance letter. The concert of participant works will consist of the completed pieces that will have been worked on intensively during the session.