Oberlin in Italy
June 5 to July 10, 2013
The Oberlin Conservatory of Music is pleased to present its 25th annual summer training program for singers, pianists, stage directors, instrumentalists, and students of the liberal arts in the beautiful city of Arezzo, Italy. The session takes place from Wednesday, June 5 (arrival date) to Wednesday, July 10 (departure date).
More than 60 young artists from top conservatories and schools of music in the United States and abroad are chosen to come together in the heart of Tuscany for an intensive five-week program that combines language and musical study with Italian cultural immersion. Program participants work closely with a faculty of internationally distiguished artists, teachers, coaches, conductors, and stage directors, and may earn up to eight Oberlin College credits with the successful completion of program courses and performance assignments.
This year's featured operas:
Mozart's Così fan tutte
Highlights of Oberlin in Italy include:
- Intensive daily Italian language courses (5 credits)
- Weekly lessons, coachings and masterclasses for vocalists and collaborative pianists
- Students are eligible to earn an additional two music elective credits through their successful participation in division assignments
- Two full-staged opera productions
- Full staged scenes performances
- Vocal and instrumental concert artist ensemble performances in prestigious venues in Tuscany
- Free time to travel the beautiful country and experience the rich cultural Italian life
Participants in each division receive 15 hours of Italian language class per week, and are eligible to earn five transferable Oberlin College language credits with successful completion of the Italian language course.
ALL SINGERS are cast in performance opportunities in the opera, concert, or emerging artist divisions according to their level of skill and development based on national auditions and application review.
COLLABORATIVE PIANISTS, INSTRUMENTALIST, STAGE DIRECTORS and DESIGN & PRODUCTION STUDENTS are assigned duties in one or more of the program divisions, based on national audition and application review.
- Concert Artist
- Emerging Artist
- Stage Direction, Design & Production
- Collaborative Piano
- Opera Orchestra Training Division