Housing and Dining Exemptions

The following exemptions allow students to qualify for Off-Campus status even without six semesters of residence. Students must fill out the Exemption Form.

Exemption Application Process

Students must complete the Exemption Form and one of the applications from the list below.

Student TypeApplication
  • Deadlines for Accommodations are set by the Office of Disability Services.
New Students
Transfer Students
Continuing/Returning Students

Types of Exemptions

Exemption for Age

Students who are 23 years or older by January 2 of the academic year in which the exemption applies to them.

Should you wish to be a part of this exemption, please complete the exemption form. No additional documentation is required for the age exemption. 


Students who live with their parents and commute from their parents' home within a fifty (50) mile radius of Oberlin and have a minimum of six (6) months established residency.
  • Mapquest of mileage from Oberlin College to permanent address and
  • Postmarked letter from parent stating students will be living and dining at home for the academic year and
  • Utility bills from permanent address for six months prior to date of request.


Students married by legal commitment and who are married to an individual who is a non-Oberlin student.
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate by August 15 for upcoming Fall Semester requests and December 15 for upcoming Spring Semester request.

Responsibility for Underage Dependent Children

Students who are the primary care-giver for an underage, dependent child defined as:
  1. the student's child or stepchild;
  2. having the same principal residence as the student;
  3. under the age of 18 or permanently and totally disabled; and
  4. unable to provide more than one-half of his/her own support.
  • Most recent year's complete income tax form listing children who were claimed as dependents by the student.

Part-time Student Status

Students enrolled for 5 credit hours or less.
Students must provide a copy of the part-time approval form. Exemption will not be granted until after the Add/Drop period at which time eligibility will be verified. Part-time status also need to be approved by the Dean of Studies Office for Arts & Sciences Students and by the Conservatory Associate Dean's Office for Conservatory Students. More details on how to be approved for part-time status and contact information can be found by following the links provided.