Grading Policy for College of Arts and Sciences Students Matriculated Before 2004

Two grading options are offered: letter grades or credit/Nno rntry (CR/NE). Each semester undergraduate students may choose to have some or all of their courses evaluated Credit/No Entry. To exercise this option, students must file a card, signed by the advisor, in the Office of the Registrar by the end of the eighth week of semester classes or the end of the fourth week of module classes. (NOTE: this deadline is later than in previous years; it is now coordinated with the deadline for P/NP in the new grading system. See the back cover of the catalog for the entire academic calendar.) Once the deadline has passed, no change in the grading option may be made. This means that students must elect the CR/NE grading option by the deadline. Similarly, CR/NE grading will not be reversed to letter grading after the deadline. If no option card is submitted, letter grades will be recorded. In courses in which the instructor declares credit/no entry grading, the student has no option.

Letter Grades

The grades recorded and their equivalents in quality points (used in computing grade-point averages) are as follows:

A+ A A- B+ B B- C+ C C- W NE (No Entry)
4.33 4.00 3.67 3.33 3.00 2.67 2.33 2.00 1.67 0.00 0.00

To obtain the quality points earned in a course, the numerical equivalent of the grade is multiplied by the number of hours for which the course was taken. The grade-point average is computed by dividing the total quality points by the total number of hours for which letter grades are recorded.

Credit/No Entry (CR/NE)

All passing work (A+ to C-) is given the uniform grade of CR (Credit). Work below C- is considered not passing, and is given a grade of NE (No Entry).

Withdrawal Grades

A student may withdraw from a class between the end of the Add/Drop period and the last day of the eighth week of classes (last day of the fourth week of classes for modules). If a student withdraws from a class, the notation W (Withdrawn; no indication of passing or failing) will be entered on the student’s transcript. After the end of the eighth week of classes (fourth week for a module course), a letter grade or CR/NE will be awarded. The number of registered hours is not reduced by withdrawing from a course. Thus, students must remain with the maximum hours allowed (16 for the Bachelor of Arts, 17 for the Bachelor of Music and Double Degree programs) if there is consideration of withdrawing from one course and adding another during the semester.

No Entry

Whether a course is taken for letter grades or credit/no entry, work below the C level is considered not passing and no entry is made on the student’s permanent record. Thus, if a student does not pass a course, there is no indication on the official transcript that the course was attempted.

Policies Regarding Incompletes, Asterisk Grades, and Grade Reports

The following grading policies apply to all students regardless of matriculation term.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade is a temporary grade, assigned at the end of a semester, to permit students additional time to complete work in a course. There are two kinds of incompletes:

While at Oberlin a student in the College of Arts and Sciences is allowed up to two incompletes authorized by course instructors for educational reasons, such as a desire by the student to spend additional time on a particular course. A request for such an educational incomplete must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Studies in advance of the scheduled final exam in that course. Course work must be finished by the end of the first week of Winter Term for first semester incompletes, and by three weeks after the end of the semester for second semester incompletes. Additional educational incompletes beyond the first two may be authorized by the Dean of Studies, but only in very exceptional circumstances.

Emergency incompletes may be authorized by the Dean of Studies due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. Normally such incompletes are for medical or life crisis reasons. The due date for course work will depend on how much time was lost due to the emergency, up to a maximum of three weeks.

The due date for either an educational or emergency incomplete may be extended only for emergency reasons. If work is not completed within the specified time, a grade will be recorded based on the extent to which the course requirements have been met. All requests for incompletes must be made through the Office of the Dean of Studies for courses offered in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Asterisk Grade

An asterisk grade is used at the end of the first semester to indicate that the work of a course covers two semesters and that no grade can be recorded yet. When the final grade is given at the end of the second semester the asterisk is removed and the grade earned is recorded for both semesters.

Grade Reports

Semester grade reports are available to students via the online student record system. Federal law prohibits student grade reports from being sent to parents unless the student signs a form releasing this information. If a student opts to release grades to his or her parents, either the student or the parents must request a copy of the grades each semester from the Office of the Registrar.