Science Center N280
- Bachelor of Arts, Oberlin College, 1999
- Master of Science, Cornell University, 2002
- Doctor of Philosophy, Cornell University, 2005
Synthesis of inorganic-organic materials, studies of composition and corrosion in organ pipes and other cultural materials
A second, interdisciplinary area of research uses methods of materials chemistry to study the causes and mechanisms of corrosion of historic organ pipes. We use exposure chambers to expose representative metal samples to corrosive conditions and study the corrosion product compositions and morphologies by X-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy. This project has the goal of obtaining information that can be used by organ builders and restorers to conserve historic organ pipes and prevent corrosion in new ones.
NSF Grant Article: Early Career Grant
Feature Article: Key to saving pipe organs
Video Interview: Research
Video Interview: Coming Back
Video Interview: Oberlin Students
Blog Post: A Corrosive Enemy
Audio Interview: Pulse of the Planet
Video news article: Historic Pipe Organs
Inorganic Chem, General Chem, Synthesis Laboratory
- Easterday, C.C.;* Dedon, L.R.;* Zeller, M.; Oertel, C.M. “Helical ∞1[Pb2O] Chains in Polymorphs of Pb2O(C6H5COO)2,” Cryst. Growth Des. 2014, 14, 2048-2055.
- Mauck, C.M.;* van den Heuvel, T.W.P.;* Hull, M.M.;* Zeller, M.; Oertel, C.M. “Synthesis and Structures of Pb3O2(CH3OO)2⋅0.5H2O and Pb2O(HCOO)2: Two Corrosion Products Revisited,” Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49, 10736-10743.
- Tian, H.;* Iliff, H.A.;* Moore, L.J.;* Oertel, C.M. "Structure and Polymorphism in M(ethylendediamine)3MoS4 (M=Mn, Co, Ni)," Cryst. Growth Des. 2010, 10, 669-675
- Oertel, C.M.; Baker, S.P.; Niklasson, A.; Johansson, L.-G.; Svensson, J.-E. "Acetic Acid Vapor Corrosion of Lead-Tin Alloys Containing 3.4 and 15% Tin," J. Electrochem. Soc. 2009, 156, C414-C421.
- Oertel, C.M.; Baker, S.P.; Niklasson, A.; Johansson, L.-G.; Svensson, J.-E. "Focused-Ion Beam and Electron Microscopy Analysis of Corrosion of Lead-Tin Alloys: Applications to Conservation of Organ Pipes," Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 2008, 1047, Y05-01.