Commencement/Reunion Weekend is set for May 24-27, 2013. Commencement exercises will take place Monday, May 27, on Tappan Square, at which time arts and sciences and conservatory students will receive degrees. In addition to Commencement, the college will welcome hundreds of alumni for class reunion gatherings and special events.
This year's Commencement speaker is novelist Tracy Chevalier '84, author of the bestselling book, Girl with a Pearl Earring (1999), and the just released The Last Runaway (2013). She also will receive an Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts. The Baccalaureate speaker is Tarunjit Singh Butalia, past Secretary General of the World Sikh Council-America Region and the moderator of Religions for Peace – USA. .Recipients of honorary degrees and Alumni Association awards include:
- Jonathan Demme, Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts
- Norma Percy '63, Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts
- David Evans '63, Honorary Doctor of Science
- Larry Squire '63, Honorary Doctor of Science
- Richard Taruskin, Honorary Doctor of Music
- Bill Robinson '63, Alumni Medal
- Booker Peek, Community Service Award
You can expect Commencement/Reunion Weekend to maintain such long-standing traditions as Illumination, and more recently, an Oberlin Steel band concert and some quirky Oberlin-style outfitting for the academic procession.
Refer to the Commencement/Reunion Weekend 2013 booklet for details and schedule of activities.