Alumni Association Guiding Principles
How the Alumni Association Works
Provide a lifelong community for students and alumni of Oberlin College. Be an effective partner in supporting Oberlin’s academic and artistic excellence. Enhance commitment to Oberlin’s historic values and community service.
To support this vision, the Executive Board of the Alumni Association has developed a series of themes and objectives to guide the activities of our committees and affiliate groups. On a regular basis, each of these groups will review these themes and objectives and report to the alumni community on their activities in support of these guiding principles. Refer to each of these committees and affiliate groups, listed below, for more information.
Themes and Objectives
The Alumni Association is a partner in setting Oberlin College policy.
The Alumni Association facilitates alumni involvement in college activities
- Increase active participation of alumni with students and other alumni
- Make alumni better resources to prospective students, graduates, and faculty
The Alumni Association encourages its members to provide financial support to the college.
- Increase the percentage of alumni participation in annual giving.
- Increase the size of individual contributors.
The Alumni Association provides lifelong support to its members.
- Provide opportunities to remain connected to Oberlin through various mechanisms such as reunions, the online community and regional activities.
- Provide services to alumni in support of their personal and professional lives after Oberlin, e.g. affiliate groups, career services.
The Alumni Association continually communicates with alumni to inform them of activities and services and to assess changing needs of the alumni community.
- Promote a consistent message regarding the benefits of involvement with the Alumni Association
- Encourage coordination of all communication with alumni to emphasize tie-ins with the Alumni Association
For further details on Alumni Association activities in support of these Guiding Principles, refer to the specific sites below:
- Career services
- Trustee nominations
- Oberlin Alumni Association of African Ancestry (OA4)
- Oberlin Asian Pacific American Alumni Association (OAPAAA)
- Oberlin Christian Alumni Association
- Oberlin College Alumni Bowlers Association (OCABA)
- EnviroAlums (E)
- The John W. Heisman Club
- Oberlin Lambda Alumni (OLA)
- Oberlin Latino Alumni Association (OLAA)
- Oberlin Steel (OSteel)
- Ultimate Players Alumni Association