Getting Connected

CIT provides a strong network infrastructure. We currently have a total bandwidth of 600 Mbs, which is provided to us from our Internet Service providers: OARnet (Ohio Academic Resources Network) and OneCommunity. We apply bandwidth shaping, as almost all colleges and universities do, to prioritize academic and administrative work. We also provide wireless coverage in almost all locations on campus. (See more info on wireless below.)

If you ever experience problems with network access—wired or wireless—please let us know as soon as possible by contacting the CIT Help Desk (x58197,  We strive to maintain a well-functioning network and count on you to let us know about any issues, so we can troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly.  If you do experience network issues, such as extreme slowness, it would help if you could email us the following details:

  • your IP address (How do I find my IP address?
  • your location, e.g., Barrows 123
  • time of day
  • what you were trying to do, e.g., connecting to

Wireless is available throughout campus.  It is available in all academic buildings and residence halls, including Firelands.  It is NOT available in Village Housing locations, except Union Street Housing, and 137, 140, 148, & 150 Elm Street.  For wireless coverage details, see: Wireless Map.

Oberlin College provides VPN (Virtual Private Network) service. When your computer is connected to the Oberlin College VPN, all of your network traffic comes back to Oberlin College through a type of secure network "tunnel".  VPN is required when accessing College network resources from off-campus, and when utilizing any (especially, secure or critical) network resources while on-campus using wireless connectivity.

It is extremely important to note that wireless network traffic is very insecure and should almost always be protected by using VPN!

More information on how to use VPN is available on the VPN page of the CIT Wiki.

Village Housing

Internet access is provided in Village Housing at no additional charge to students. The following apartments and townhouses receive connectivity directly from CIT:

  • 137, 140, 148, and 150 Elm Street
  • Union/Goldsmith
  • Firelands (wired connection in rooms; wireless in common rooms only).

Contact CIT (not Res Ed) for questions at or 440-775-8197.
All other village houses are receive internet connection through the Oberlin Cable Coop. Contact the cable coop (not Res Ed) with any questions regarding internet at or 440-775-4001.

Cable Co-op network access is both wired and wireless. Cable Co-op provides up to 20 Mbps connection speed. This connection, when used by all residents of house, should be sufficient for most applications, but some reduction in performance may be noticed with multiple users accessing bandwidth heavy resources (streaming video, for example). Your Cable Co-op connection receives an Oberlin College IP network address. This allows residents to access services as if they were on the College’s network. For houses served by the Cable Co-op, residents may need an Ethernet cable to connect to an available Ethernet port in the house. Cables may already be present. The Oberlin College Technology Store (on Mudd Level A) has Ethernet cables if you don’t have one. The wireless network for houses served by the Cable Co-op has the SSID (identifier), ObieVillage. Please do not share the following information with non-Oberlin personnel (they may jump on your network, further degrading performance).