The Office of Winter Term coordinates preparation for winter term and supports the work of the winter term Committee. Oberlin provides a winter term of four weeks in January to encourage and enable students to discover the value of self-education. This term affords students an opportunity to devise and pursue programs of independent study or research and to undertake, individually or with a group, on- or off-campus, other projects of educational value that the structured curriculum during the academic year cannot accommodate easily. Winter term provides an opportunity for variations and supplements to the usual course offerings, with an emphasis on experimentation and creativity, intellectual independence, and personal responsibility.
Important: Upcoming International Winter Term Projects (2016)
If you are looking for a way to advance a semester’s worth of classes in the Spanish language sequence or begin learning Spanish, the Winter Term 2016 program in Guadalajara might be a great opportunity for you. Please take a look here: Oberlin College – Guadalajara Winter Term 2016. (Enrollment Full)
If you are looking for a rewarding, adventurous and international way to fulfill your Winter Term requirement in January 2016, the Winter Term trip to Costa Rica might be the perfect opportunity for you. Please take a look here: Oberlin College – Costa Rica Winter Term 2016.
Other examples of international group projects include:
Filming France: Documenting Wine Making and its Culture in France. (Enrollment Full)
Oberlin Winter Term in Mexico City 2016 (Enrollment Full)
Oberlin Winter Term in London 2016 (Enrollment Full)
Oberlin Winter Term in Egypt 2016 (Enrollment Full)
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Winter Term 2016 funding applications are being accepted for environmental studies-related projects, sponsored by the Ann Marie Schaening ’87 Memorial Fund. Applications are available in the ENVS Office or at the ENVS Blackboard site (Student Fellow-ships). Complete and submit the application form to the Environmental Studies Program office (AJLC 211) by 4:30 p.m. Monday, November 16, 2015.
The Ann Marie Schaening ’87 Memorial Fund has been established by the family and friends of Ann Marie Schaening ’87 to provide support for students pursuing Winter Term studies related to the Environmental Studies Program.
For additional opportunities, both international and domestic, please look under the Group Projects page:
Important: Friday, Oct. 16 is the submission deadline for petitions to waive the international travel warning restriction.
- New Policy on travel to Travel Warning countries.
- WINTER TERM 2016 CALENDAR:
- Friday, Oct. 2
- Group Project Grant Applications are due.
- Monday, Oct. 5
(Attendance is Important:) Information Session & Panel Discussion for First-year Students
7-9:00PM, Wilder Main
- Monday, Oct. 26
WINTER TERM FAIR, 7:30-9:00PM, Philips Physical Education Center, Main Gym
- Winter Term Group Project Listings available online
- Friday, Oct. 30
- Individual Project Grant Applications are due.
- Monday, Nov. 2
- Applications for Winter Term Internships through the Career Center are due.
- Friday, Nov. 6
Group Project Grant Acceptance Forms are due.
- Friday, Dec. 4
Individual Project Grant Acceptance Forms are due.
- December 4 is the last day for students to register for Winter Term 2016.
- Monday, Jan. 4, 2016
- Winter Term begins. (Registration deadline for students not in residence during the Fall 2015 semester.)
- Friday, Jan. 15
- Last day to revise registration. See Changes to Registration under "Registering for a Project".
- Wednesday, Jan. 27
- Winter Term ends.
- Friday, Feb. 5
- Student reports for Individual projects due to faculty sponsors;
Individual Grant Final Reports due to the Winter Term Office;
Last day to report a decrease in credit from full to half (with a Winter Term Registration Adjustment/Drop Form signed by the faculty sponsor).
- Monday, Feb. 15
- Faculty grade report due to Registrar, along with any title changes agreed to by faculty sponsor and student.
- Friday, Mar. 4
- Final Report for a Group project grant are due to the Winter Term Office.
- Friday, April 1
- Deadline to apply for Early Funding for a Winter Term 2016 Group project grant.